The Vomero, one of the hilly neighborhoods of the city, has undergone a strong social and commercial development since the post-war period, so much so that today it is a rich and well-to-do neighborhood, inhabited by the Neapolitan bourgeoisie.
In addition to its reputation as a bourgeois neighborhood, Vomero is pleasant for tourists for various reasons. At the Vomero you can, first of all, enjoy one of the most beautiful views of the city from the square in front of the Certosa di San Martino, spend pleasant hours between good food and shopping and for architecture lovers the district is a tangible example of the Neapolitan Art Nouveau style .
And if you want to learn more, I invite you to click on our blog. The blog is constantly updated and will offer you not only ideas on what to visit, but give you technical details of the individual monuments of Naples.
Castel Sant'Elmo is a medieval castle and is the first castle by extension of the city). It originates from a Norman observation tower called Belforte. The Castle has always had a considerable strategic importance so that from its position you can control the whole city, the gulf, and the roads that lead from the surrounding hills to the city. The castle, as well as a permanent museum, the "Napoli Novecento", is also home to various temporary exhibitions, fairs and events.
Built at the beginning of the fourteenth century, the castle has had a long history of sieges and was a sought-after military target when the French and Spanish contended for the Kingdom of Naples. In 1707 it was besieged by the Austrians; in 1734 by the Bourbons. At the time of the French Revolution, the prison hosted some patriots from the Philippines: Mario Pagano, Giuliano Colonna, Gennaro Serra di Cassano, Ettore Carafa.
During the riots of 1799 it was taken by the people and then occupied by the Republicans, who during the siege of the French forces, from here bombed behind the Neapolitan lazarists who had arisen to oppose the occupation of the city. When the last resistance was wiped out, on January 21st they planted the first tree of freedom and on the 23rd they raised the flag of the Neapolitan Republic. After years of work to restore it, it was opened to the public on May 15, 1988; the castle belongs to the Civil Demanio and is used as a museum.
Certosa di San Martino
The Certosa di San Martino is absolutely one of the largest religious monument complexes in the city and one of the most successful examples of Baroque architecture and art along with the royal chapel of the Treasure of San Gennaro, as well as the fulcrum of seventeenth-century Neapolitan painting. It has about one hundred rooms, two churches, four chapels, three cloisters and hanging gardens.
After the Unification of Italy it assumed the title of national monument and since 1866 it houses the National Museum of San Martino, born with the purpose of telling the artistic and cultural history of the city. Inside the Carthusian complex is housed in some rooms the National Museum of San Martino, which has the intent to tell the story of Naples from the Bourbon period up to the post-unification period.
The complex was part of the group of buildings used as Bourbon royal residences in Campania and since 1927 has hosted the National Museum of Ceramics Duca di Martina. In June 1815 Ferdinando IV di Borbone bought for his wife Lucia Migliaccio, Duchess of Floridia a large plot on the hill of Vomero, where stood an imposing villa that, in honor of his wife, called Floridiana.
The complex included two villas, Villa Lucia and Villa Florìdia, an outdoor theater called "della Verzura", a circular temple of the Ionic order, fake ruins and greenhouses, all strictly in neoclassical style. Villa Floridiana today is famous, and above all frequented by the Neapolitans for its park.
A scenic alternation of winding paths and shady woods, beautiful that of camellias, with large areas occupied by grasslands and open to the gulf, in a fascinating synthesis of geometric elements typical of the Italian garden and of perspective solutions of the English garden .
Piazza Vanvitelli is a square in Naples located in the Vomero district. It is dedicated to the great architect Luigi Vanvitelli, whose works include the Royal Palace of Caserta and the Foro Carolino. The square has an octagonal plan and in it cross two fundamental streets of the district: via Alessandro Scarlatti and via Bernini, which identify the two axes on which the urbanistic hippodameo scheme is structured, which structures the entire district. This, together with the homonymous subway station, make it the heart of the district and the center of the nightlife of the district.
The square, dedicated to the great architect Luigi Vanvitelli, was born in the eighties of the nineteenth century. In fact, in 1885 the new Vomero district was planned, which provided for an orthogonal arrangement of the streets. Point of inPiazza Vanvitelli was the main square of the new district. Piazza is considered the heart of Vomero for its architectural beauty and for the importance it has for the district. From the opening of the subway station, piazza Vanvitelli has become a place meeting of many young people of the city, most coming from the north of the city, connected with the Vomero by the same subway.The symbol of the square is the historical clock of the Autonomous Volturno, one of the twelve public clocks surviving the bombing of the second world war of the twenty-one installed between 1931 and 1933 in the most important streets of the city. Since 2008 ten of them have received a conservative restoration, going from green to a metallic gray as well as the restoration of the original dial with Arabic numerals that from the seventies had Roman numeration. To the south-east of the square opens the gallery Vanvitelli, a commercial gallery built in the seventies.
Via Alessandro Scarlatti
Via Alessandro Scarlatti was traced in 1887, together with the adjacent Piazza Vanvitelli as the nucleus of the new Vomero district. The street, whose buildings were built in the Umbertine style, descending towards the west slightly sloping, represented the main axis of the neighborhood. In the nineties, then, the lower part of the street was pedestrianized, becoming very popular thanks to the proximity of the Vanvitelli station of the line 1. The pedestrian area was also extended to the cross-streets, and, in 2008, to the surrounding streets such as via Luca Giordano. Since 17 October 2002 the upper part of the street has been equipped with a system of escalators, which facilitates access to the area of San Martino. Via Scarlatti is now one of the most elegant and well-frequented streets in Naples. Many people of the upper Neapolitan bourgeoisie come every day to go shopping on this street where there are the most important chain stores.
Il Petraio is an area of Vomero characteristic for its ramps and its fantastic panorama, perhaps one of the most beautiful of Naples and for the architecture of Liberty Napoletano made in the early twentieth century and subsequently, during the speculation, many buildings were built in reinforced concrete that have made it an area with a high residential density. The area is connected to Corso Vittorio Emanuele with the Salita del Petraio as well as the Gradoni Santa Maria Apparente and connected to the Vomero district with Via Filippo Palizzi and the Gradini del Petraio where it ends with the Palazzo Mellucci.
The building has a sinuous profile that follows the curvilinear course of the Santa Maria Apparent ramp at the confluence with the Petraio and with the branch of via Vianelli and, due to the freedom of the plant as well as the steel and glass of the balconies, refers to the essential characters of the Neapolitan liberty. It is served by the Palazzolo-Parco Marcolini stations (Via Filippo Palizzi) of the Funicular of Chiaia and, much more conveniently, from the Petraio station (Salita del Petraio and Via Filippo Palizzi) of the Central Funicular. The roads that connect the Petraio towards the vomero are often referred to as La santarella by virtue of the presence of Villa Santarella located there. Walking through this area you can see the most beautiful views of the Gulf of Naples.