In a unique landscape in the world, where sea and mountain alternate, deep valleys and citrus terraces, you can choose your ideal holiday between nature and silence, health and culture, sea baths, spa treatments, nature walks.
Sorrento, with its marvelous peninsula is undoubtedly one of the most sought after destinations in the world by tourists. Its international fame lies not only in the enchanting landscape and in the possibility of experiencing a holiday in total relaxation in a perfect mix of sea, food and traditions. Sorrento offers excellent cultural ideas.
And if you want to learn more, I invite you to click on our blog. The blog is constantly updated and will offer you not only ideas on what to visit, but give you technical details of the individual monuments of Naples.
Cathedral of Sorrento
Cathedral of Sorrento, dedicated to the SS. Philip and James, in Romanesque style dates back to the fifteenth century, of considerable beauty the side portal of 1474 in Renaissance style.
Inside paintings by artists of the Neapolitan school of the '700, an archiepiscopal throne in marble of 1573 and an inlaid wooden choir by early 20th century Sorrentine artisans. Note the paintings of the Via Crucis along the main aisle and the drums of the main entrance door works inlaid by contemporary Sorrento artists
The Cathedral is open every day from 8.00 to 12.30 and from 4.30 to 21.00. Tourist visits are not allowed during the liturgical celebrations.
Basilica of St. Anthony
Basilica of S. Antonino, in this site already existed in the ninth century an oratory dedicated to St. Anthony, patron saint of Sorrento. The origin of the whole complex, however, can be traced back to the ninth century. Inside the basilica there are many findings probably coming from the portico of one of the many Roman villas in the area. The crib of the Neapolitan eighteenth-century school of Sammartino is of noteworthy value, from which unfortunately some shepherds were stolen. Note the southern portal in Byzantine-Roman form that dates back to the tenth century.
In the Crypt, where the body of the saint is kept, numerous paintings and ex-voto in silver to demonstrate the strong bond existing between the Sorrentines and their patron saint.
Cloister and Church of St. Francis
Cloister and Church of St. Francis, the origin of the monastery dates back to the first half of the eighth century. The architecture of the cloister has crossed arches in tufa, expression of the late fourteenth century style on two sides and on the other two, round arches on octagonal pillars of more recent epoch. Many elements come from pagan temples on the peninsula. Next to the cloister is the church dedicated to the poor of Assisi that dates back to the 16th century. Inside there is a wooden statue of St. Francis in adoration of the Crucifix donated by the Vulcano family in the seventeenth century.
Correale di Terranova Museum
Correale di Terranova Museum, called "the most beautiful museum in the province of Italy" for the variety and richness of the works of art collected, for centuries belonged to the noble Correale di Terranova family and the last heirs, Alfredo and Pompeo, entrusted to a private foundation.
The most precious works of art from the many homes of the Correale family of Naples and Sorrento were collected in the historic "Villa alla Rota" which in 1924 became the site of the museum complex. Walking through these rooms the visitor is transported back in time among archaeological finds found in the area, valuable paintings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries mostly Neapolitan school, sumptuous furniture and furnishings, rare European and oriental porcelain. The collections follow one another along a path that ranges from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century.
Medieval walls, of the ancient Greek defensive wall remains only the part below the road level of the new Parsano gate and some ruins beyond the port of Marina Grande.
The Roman city overlapped, in fact, the Greek settlement preserving its urban plan and the city walls with large isodomic blocks. These walls, restored from 1551 to 1561, defended Sorrento from the incursions of the Saracens, fierce Turkish pirates of the Ottoman Empire who devastated all of southern Italy with their raids.
The Porta di Parsano was built during the Bourbon period, to allow easier access to the hilly area that was being developed. Today the Porta Parsano and its bastion are the only remaining structures of that defensive system, after careful restoration and restoration works have recently been opened to the public.
Sedil Dominova, dates back to the 16th century and is the only visible testimony in Campania of the "noble seats", meeting point of the aristocratic families of the time. In quadrilateral form preserves inside frescoes of the '800, capitals and arcades in piperno of archaic taste while, the dome, dating back to the' 700, is formed of "maiolicaati embryos" of yellow and green In the same period another seat was created called "Di Porta", because it is located next to the entrance to the city (Piazza Tasso corner Via S. Cesareo) of which, unfortunately, few traces are visible.
Ruins of the Roman villa
Ruins of the Roman villa, in the headland of Sorrento, are visible the remains of a splendid Roman villa that probably belonged to Pollio Felice and described by the poet Publio Papinio Stazio. This town is also known as the Regina Giovanna baths because according to tradition local here loved to bathe the queen Giovanna II Durazzo, queen of Naples from 1414 to 1435.
Ruderi of an ancient millRuderi of an ancient mill, still visible on the bottom of a deep valley, behind the Piazza Tasso, built in the second half of the 800 of the ancient mill that operated at the beginning of '900, used the power of water coming from the hills to grind the grain and feed a sawmill, attached to the mill.
Palazzo Veniero, building dating back to the XIII century, of exceptional value and rarity for the architectural motifs of late Byzantine and Arabic taste. The large arched windows, which overlook Via S. Maria della Pietà, are in fact "decorated" with large bands of yellow and gray tuff, with round tiles that bear a patera of majolica in the middle. The tufa decoration shows a succession of lozenges or zig-zag.