Chiaia and Naples’ promenade are a nature, history and culture masterpieces. An obligatory stop for those visiting Naples. In this area of the city you can spend an entire day between art, culture, history, enchanting landscapes, shopping, and delicious food.
It is called the living room of Naples and walking through the famous roads of Chiaia starting from via Chiaia, passing through Dei Mille St, Caracciolo St and Mergellina you will easily understand why.
And if you want to learn more, I invite you to click on our blog. The blog is constantly updated and will offer you not only ideas on what to visit, but give you technical details of the individual monuments of Naples.
The egg Castle is a seaside castle in Naples, located on the former island of Megaride, now a peninsula, on the Gulf of Naples in Italy. The castle's name comes from a legend about the Roman poet Virgil, who had a reputation in the Middle Ages as a great sorcerer and predictor of the future. In the legend, Virgil put a magical egg into the foundations to support the fortifications. Had this egg been broken, the castle would have been destroyed and a series of disastrous events for Naples would have followed. The castle is located between the districts of San Ferdinando and Chiaia, facing Mergellina across the sea.
Today it is annexed to the historic district of Santa Lucia and is open to visitors. Exhibitions, conventions and events are held in the large halls. At its bottom is the tourist port of the “seaside Village” animated by restaurants and bars, and some of the most prestigious nautical clubs in Naples.
Fountain of the Giant
The Fontana del Gigante or Fountain of the Giant is a monumental fountain in Naples.
It was designed in the 17th-century by Michelangelo Naccherino and Pietro Bernini for the Royal Palace of Naples, where it stood near a colossal ancient statue, and thereby gained its name. From there it was moved to the site of Palace of the Immacolatella, but in 1905, it was moved to it present picturesque site, on via Partenope, near the Castel dell'Ovo. It is also called the Fontana dell'Immacolatella.
The Bourbon Tunnel
The Bourbon Tunnel, Tunnel Borbonico or Bourbon Gallery is an ancient underground passage, constructed for military purposes to connect the Royal Palace to military barracks in Naples.The monarchy in the era of King Ferdinand II of Bourbon was fearful of the revolution-prone populace of Naples. Errico Alvino was commissioned to construct a military passage for troops connecting the Royal Palace of Naples to Via Morelli, boring underneath the hill of Pizzofalcone and reaching the quartiere San Ferdinando, but also connecting to other underground tunnels and aqueducts, including the old Carmignano aqueduct (1627–1629). The monarchy would also not have been ignorant that the Viceroy of Naples in 1647 had nearly been trapped in this urban Royal Palace, and only by luck was able to flee to a nearby Convent to escape angry crowds during the Revolt of Masaniello, thus the tunnel could also serve as an escape route for its royal inhabitants.
Two years after it was begun, the fall of the Bourbon dynasty led construction to halt. During the Second World War, the tunnel was used as a shelter during bombardments. Presently the tunnels are open for tours, and share with Catacombs of Naples the urge to go underground, and with much of Neapolitan constructions, a kinship with decay and fruitless architecture in Naples. The tunnel contains decades of debris, including vintage cars and a discarded fascist monument that had been made for Aurelio Padovani.
Chiaia is a neighborhood on the seafront in Naples, bounded by Piazza Vittoria on the East and Mergellina on the West. Chiaia is one of the most affluent districts in Naples and on the main streets of Chiaia many luxury brands have their shops. Historically, it underwent initial development in the late 16th and early 17th centuries as the Spanish rulers of Naples opened the city to the west of its historic boundaries. The most important monumental buildings and churches located here are:
The Chiaia Bridge, built in 1636 to connect the area of Pizzofalcone with the Spanish quarters, was built in neoclassical style and has various marble decorations. Only one of the two arches that compose it is visible, because of the buildings built later near it.
Palazzo Carver is an ancient noble palace founded in the sixteenth-century by the abbot of Stigliano, Giovanni Francesco Carafa. Today's connotation of the palace, which has known numerous interventions of embellishment after its foundation connotes a “mixture of the stern and the pompous, from the sixteenth-century and the Baroque style.”
Saint Orsola in Chiaia Church
The church of Saint Orsola in Chiaia, although it lost much of its original value, after the nineteenth century restorations, presents valuable frescoes on the arches of the nave and on the vault.
The Sannazzaro Theatre, otherwise known as the Chiaia St wedding favor, was inaugurated in the nineteenth century. On his stage great actors and musicians performed during the years as Emma Gramatica and Ruggero Ruggeri. Nearby you can also find Along several historical cafès and restaurants of the city, like the Gran Caffè Gambrinus, and the pizzeria Brandi, where in June 1889 was invented the Margherita pizza. The street in which the theater is located ends in Martyrs Square, from which you can access the Riviera di Chiaia going down Calabritto St or to the Chiatamone, going down via Domenico Morelli. Just before the square instead, after the Palazzo Cellammare turning right, you can reach Dei Mille Street.The route is exclusively intended for pedestrian transit.
Martyrs' Square (in Italian: Martyrs' Square) is a monument square located one block north of the eastern end of the large seaside park known as the Villa Comunale. The square was originally dedicated to Santa Maria a Cappella, but took on patriotic significance when Italy was united in 1861.
The monument in the center of this square was built around a column already standing by the Bourbon period, when the square was called the piazza della Pace. The column was repurposed, and atop now stands a bronze statue depicting the Virtue of the Martyrs, designed by Emanuele Caggiano. Four lions stand at the corners of the square base, each represent Neapolitan patriots who died during specific anti-Bourbon revolutions.
- Lion dying — to fallen defending the short Parthenopean Republic in 1799.
- Lion pierced by a sword-to fallen during Carbonari revolution of 1820.
- Lion lying down — to fallen during revolution of 1848, with 1848 statutes under paw.
- Lion striding on foot — to fallen during successful Garibaldini Revolt of 1860.
The Palace of the Arts of Naples (also known as PAN) is a museum located in the historical Palazzo Carafa of Roccella located in dei Mille Street. It hosts contemporary art exhibitions in its many forms (painting, sculpture, photography, graphics, comics, design, art and cinema).
Inaugurated on 26 March 2005, the structure has an area of 6,000 m2 on three floors with exhibition areas, media Library, spaces for didactic activities, dedicated bookshop, cafes, and terraces.
Piazza Amedeo and the Aselmeyer Castle
Chiaia St, Martyr Square, dei Mille St and Amedeo Square are the heart of the Chiaia district, rich of churches, museums, underground tunnels, historic buildings and luxury shops. But you don’t want to lose the chance to see also the Aselmeyer Castel.
The building definitively built in 1902 by the Anglo-Neapolitan architect Lamont Young, is one of the most successful examples of medieval architecture in the city. It has several autobiographical elements of the architect, as well as Elizabethan and Tudor elements.
The Villa Pignatelli is a museum in Naples in southern Italy. The villa is located along the Riviera di Chiaia, the road bounding the north side of the Villa Comunale on the sea front between Mergellina and Piazza Vittoria.
It was built for Ferdinand Acton in 1826, as a neoclassical residence that would be the centerpiece of a park. The central atrium was moved to the front of the building and Doric columns still catch the eye of the viewer from the street 50 yards (46 m) away. The property has changed hands since construction: in 1841, it was bought by Carl Mayer von Rothschild of the German family of financiers; in 1867, it passed to the Duke of Monteleone, Diego Aragona Pignatelli Cortes, whose widow then willed it to the Italian State in 1952.
The villa maintains the gardens in front of the building, and houses a coach museum and a collection of French and English vehicles from the 18th and 19th centuries.
The Villa Comunale is the most prominent and visible park in Naples, southern Italy and it stretches over 1 km through an area of land between Pizzofalcone and Posillipo Hills and follows the curve of the bay from Piazza Vittoria to Piazza della Repubblica.
It was built in the 1780s by King Ferdinand IV (later known as Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies) on land reclaimed along the coast between the main body of the city and the small port of Mergellina. The park was originally a “Royal Garden” reserved for members of the royal family, but open to the public on special holidays such as the Festival of Piedigrotta. The park was opened to the public on a permanent basis in 1869 after the unification of Italy.
The park houses the Anton Dohrn aquarium, a renowned scientific institution built in the 1870s. The seaside road, via Caracciolo, which now lies between the aquarium and the sea, is another more recent reclamation project added to the city in 1900 to provide another connecting road between the city and the suburbs to the West.
The Crypta Neapolitana
The Crypta Neapolitana, also known as the Posillipo tunnel or Seiano cave (Grotta Seiano, “Sejanus's cave”), is an ancient Roman tunnel near Naples, Italy. It was built in 37 BC, and is over 700 metres long and according to medieval legend, the tunnel was built by Virgil in a single night! The tunnel passes beneath the Posillipo hill and connects Naples with the so-called Phlegrean Fields and the town of Pozzuoli along the road known as the via Domiziana.
The eastern entrance (that is, on the Naples side) is in the part of Naples known as Piedigrotta (“at the foot of the grotta”); the western end is in the area now called Fuorigrotta (“outside the grotta”). The Piedigrotta entrance is now enclosed within an archaeological park, and the site of the villa of Vedius Pollio, and later imperial villa. The site is also noteworthy for the presence of the so-called Virgil's tomb, as well as the tomb of the Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi. Three secondary tunnels end in openings overhanging the bay, providing light and ventilation.
The tunnel was still in use as a roadway until superseded by two modern tunnels in the early 20th-century, and shows extensive restoration done by the architects of the Bourbon dynasty of Naples. During the Second World War it was used as a bomb shelter for the inhabitants of Bagnoli; the war and some landslides during the fifties put it back into a state of neglect. Today it has been restored as an archaeological site.