Avellino is a quiet city full of interesting features immersed in the green of the Irpinia territory. A perfect place to relax and enjoy the countryside.
The city is located in a valley, the so-called Conca avellinese surrounded by the Picentini Mountain range of mountains Picentini, where it’s also located the beautiful Montevergine Sanctuary, symbol of the city of Avellino.
WHAT YOU MUST DO WHILE VISITING AVELLINO IS:
- Visit the Saint Mary Assunta Cathedral, house of numerous religious paintings and statues, like the painting of Lady Assunta, which is carried in the town procession in August.
- Take a stroll in Corso Vittorio Emanuele, a large pedestrian area full of bar, cafes and shops.
- Visit the Saint Rosario Church and the Villa Comunale, loved by kids that in the gardens can enjoy slides and swings.
- Visit the Clock Tower, symbol of the city. The tower is 36 meters high and it was damaged by the disastrous earthquakes of 1668 and 1742, and by the one that occurred of November 23, 1980, which caused disasters and irreparable damage to the city’s architecture.
- Visit the Bellerofonte fountain, also called the Fountain of Constantinople or Caracciolo, but known also as the “ Tre Cannuòli fountain” for its conformation.
- Go to the Irpino Museum, a place that preserves several archaeological finds of the area, from the Neolithic age until the Roman domination. It is a destination for schools, guided tours and enthusiasts of all ages.
TALKING ABOUT FOOD AND WINE
While visiting this amazing territory you must try all the food that you can and enjoy all the great wine they produce.
The food specialties of the areas are: turnips and potatoes, bean and chestnut soup, the pizza with herbs, the beans pizza, salamis and cheeses.
The wines you want to try are the Greco di Tufo, the Turasi, the Fiano of Avellino.